THE GOLF COURSE
In 1913, Siwanoy Country Club for the third time, began construction of a golf course and a clubhouse. This time an 18-hole golf course was in the plans.
Mr. Donald Ross inspected the property and approved the purchase stating it was suitable for an 18-hole course. Mr. Ross soon became one of the best golf course architects in the country. He planned and built more than 600 golf courses in the United States during the first 50 years of the 20th century, including four of the courses in Pinehurst, North Carolina.
The course Mr. Ross laid out and had constructed on the Manor Property in 1913 is basically the same Siwanoy golf course of today, minus a few of the sand traps and bunkers he planned and had constructed. The original course Mr. Ross had constructed was 6,251 yards in length and in 1914 was rated a par 73 strokes, later lowered to 71 strokes.
In 1952 a number of changes were made in the golf course under the supervision of another famous golf course architect, Robert Trent Jones. At that time more than $60,000 was spent to modernize bunkers, reshape greens and build new tees. In this work many bunkers and sand traps which had handicapped the poorer golfers were said to have been eliminated, and new traps were constructed to "tighten up" the course for the low handicap players. The length of the course was increased to about 6,400 yards. Par remained at 71 strokes after this construction.
A watering system for the golf course is not as recent an improvements most members think. Old records of the Club state that in 1924, "the original watering system of the course was improved" by the installation then of some larger and additional mains and pipes. In 1930 further improvements were made in the watering system, include the installation of a booster pump to provide more adequate pressure in the distribution mains. In 1970, extensive improvements were made in the Club's watering system, including new mains, sprinkler heads, and an electronically directed off-on control system for timed watering of the course. This modern improvement to the watering system is being financed by a special assessment charged all golfing members of the Club.
In 1975 a special emergency interconnection was made between the Club's sprinkling system and the New Rochelle Water Company's main on California Road. This emergency interconnection will provide for the use of water received from the Water Company during times when the Club's normal source of supply from California Lake is interrupted.
Cellular PhonesThe use of cellular phones is permitted in the Locker Room and in the parking lot only. Please inform your guests of this rule.
House Rule 20.
Effective June 4th, 2003 the Board of Legislators of the County of Westchester adopted a new law known as the "Westchester Smoke-Free Worksite Law". Under the law, places of employment "shall mean any indoor and outdoor enclosed area located within the County of Westchester under the control of a public or private employer which employees normally frequent during the course of employment. Thus there will be a no smoking policy throughout the clubhouse including the locker rooms, card room, trophy room, private dining room, administrative offices and any other enclosed area of the clubhouse. Smoking shall be permitted on the deck outside the Men's Locker Room. Also, smoking on the Lower Terrace shall be permitted, but only during times when there is no food service on the Upper Terrace.